When I got sent Jiants new song Some Kind of Loser to plug. I was hooked and had to interview them. This is what they had to say.
1. What inspired the new song?
The song was written the night after a bad day in the studio where a song we had wasn’t working out. That same night an upcoming show fell apart with a band dropping out. I was just kind of making fun of myself for trying so hard and kind of failing while in no way considering stopping my musical pursuits haha.
2. What is the inspiration behind the EP Wait Here?
These 4 songs were all written in a 2 month period. They all share a common theme of feeling stuck in the same place for too long.
3. Are you happy how the song has been received?
So far I think the reception has been more than I was expecting. It’s pretty easy to release music in 2021 and hear nothing more than crickett’s afterwards.
4. Was the recording process different to earlier recordings?
The process was different because this time we were recording as 4 instead of as 3. Our lead guitarist Joe Delfin was a part of the writing process from the beginning this time. It was also different because the project was delayed for 4 months after recording the rhythm section due to covid.
5. Since live shows in public have been shut down for the moment has this time inspired the band with new material?
I think a significant amount of energy was just put towards finishing the vocals / strings and mixing during this down time. It was great to have a project to work on but I wouldn’t say it was very beneficial when it comes to inspiring new material.
6. What do you think when venues open up again what changes will you see?
I mean I think people are gonna enjoy it more after seeing what it’s like to live without live music. Both the bands and the audience will be raging.
8. What is the best piece of advice you have been given?
I think it was to just do your own thing. If you feel like you can’t be a part of something. Start something new.
9. What do you love about the Canadian music scene?
I really love Canadian music and local artists. I’m not gonna tell you that Toronto is a great place to be a musician but I see a lot of heart coming from a ton of bands who don’t get in love in the scene and that’s always inspiring to me.
10. What is next for the band?
Well the playing live thing doesn’t look like it’s gonna be up to us but I think we are just gonna press on and try to make some more recordings in 2021. Be on the lookout!