Picture copyright respected holders.
Interview with Hyske By Chris 17/7/08
Hyske is one of the most unique exciting female fronted bands to come out of Australia at the moment, They describe their music as Gothic Folk Pop and their album Luna is getting very good praise and expect a review on the site soon. This is one band you gotta check out. Do it right after reading this interview
1. How did you get into music?
– I was born with it lol, ever since i could write i tried to write
poetry and as soon as i could speak i sang
2. Who were your idols growing up?
– Almost everyone who played or created music, it was
Extremely thrilling to discover new music and I don’t find
myself connected to a certain genre (I don’t get into too much mainstream music)
… Bob Dylan fascinated me because
for me I felt he was a great story teller and i connected with what i felt
was his heart.
3. Who were your influences?
– Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, John Lennon – my fathers favourties
4. Are you happy with the responses from the album?
– It’s been overwhelming to get such a welcoming reaction, especially
when I feel I’ve waited my whole life to give songs to people.
5. How did the recording process for it go?
– For us it was quite the journey as we recorded, mixed, co-produced everything
ourselves which was a great learning experience.
We found it interesting to learn more about the engineering side of things with
some words of wisdom from ‘Paul McKercher’ (The Cruel Sea, Augie March, You Am I)
to help us in the right direction.
6. Has the internet helped with your music?
7. Do you think tools like MySpace are useful?
8. What inspired the band style of music?
9. How do you go about writing a song?
– Time alone with silence without any distractions from the outside world.
10. Have you had much radio play since the release of the album?
– Yes, we’ve had a lot of support from radio
11. Any plans to play some more gigs down in Melbourne?
– We will be coming back down to Melbourne after shows in Sydney
12. Who would you most like to record a song with and play with?
– Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
13. What is on your stereo at the moment?
– Arcade Fire – “My Body Is A Cage”
14. What are some of your favorite musical artists/bands?
– Some? … Thousands!
Bessie Smith, Goldfrapp, Arcade Fire, The Killers, Nick Cave, Johnny Cash,
Leonard Cohen, Antony & The Johnsons, Pan Sonic, Portishead,
Pj Harvey, The Ramones, Gil Scott Heron, Igor Stravinsky, Gorecki,
Tom Waits, The Stooges, Massive Attack, Bob Dylan, blah blah blah…
15. What has been the highlight so far?
– The release of “Luna” and the support from people in our
home country Australia.
16. Have you had much response from labels?
– There’s a couple of majors interested, however, we haven’t
really put our minds or energy into that space as much as we have into the
music side of it.
17. What is next for the band?
– Ooh… that’s a secret, it’s fun though and we cant wait to
show you our next incarnation.
18. Any plans to go overseas with the music?
– Yes, London in January next year, we look forward to travelling and
have had a lot of support over that way.
19. How have people responded to your music?
– A lot of people seem to be excited about hearing a different kind
of sound coming from Australia.
20. Whats one thing you don’t like about the music industry in Australia?
– I think we could have more live music venues