Stand Atlantic are a Sydney band who have just signed to European label Rude Records. They will be releasing their new EP Sidewinder on September 15. This what Bonnie from the band had to say.
1. What was the inspiration behind the new EP and how was it structured?
Not being afraid to get what you want out of life, being second best and making mistakes. We just wanted to write a good record. We were stuck in a weird place musically and didn’t know how to progress forward in the right way, so this EP was a huge rejuvenation for us as a band and even as people.
2. Are you happy the way it turned out and what do you hope people will get out of it?
We are super happy with this EP, the proudest we’ve been over anything we’ve ever written. We really explored the punkier side of pop punk in this record and hopefully it translates and people dig it.
3. How does a song normally come to you?
It’s honestly different every time! Sometimes a whole song will come about just from a simple guitar riff, or a verse/chorus idea I’ve written acoustically, other times Potter will have a full band instrumental demo written. I’m pretty sure we’ve written a song based solely off one word before… So there’s a lot of ways haha.
4. What inspires you now when writing music from when you were starting out?
Lyrically for me, Iooking back I used to write pretty much anything I wanted without thinking about how honest I was being. I’ve realised over time how helpful it can be not only for myself, but for other people listening, to let yourself be vulnerable. It’s so much cooler when you listen and connect to a piece of music feeling like the writer is being 100% honest. That’s the number one thing I check myself for when writing now.
5. How does it feel to be signed to Rude Records?
Surreal. It was a goal of ours to be able to release this EP on a label (however realistic it was or wasn’t haha) so to be in the hands of a label like Rude feels really cool, they are such a passionate team.
6. How does having fans mean to you?
It’s always so heart-warming when people let us know they like our music and show their support, so it means a lot!
7. What to you stands out being the highlight to date?
It’s a solid tie between finishing writing this EP and signing to Rude Records… Both things we are so proud of!
8. Do you have moments where you just can’t write and need to take a break?
Definitely. Writers block is a very real thing. I’ve found the only thing you can really do is step away and focus on something totally unrelated for a bit, then come back to it.
9. What is your long term goal for your music and what do you hope 2017 will play a part in that?
We love touring and writing songs, so chances are 2017 will play a big part in that for sure!
10. What is next for yourself?
We’re getting ready to release our EP ‘Sidewinder’ on September 15th this year, we have some cool things to come!